Friday, April 3, 2009

It's Been A Busy Old Time ....

It's been a busy old time these last 2 weeks. Much happened.
In the days leading up to 1 April, as expected, things became more hectic, people reacted as the final form of what was to happen, took shape.

I have always found the law to be an interesting phenomena.
As one of our wise kaumatua put it...

" It is not the fact of law I question, it is the quality "

Justice seems to be shaped by perspectives, opinion and interpretation of lore, law, regulations and previous cases that have determined acceptable outcomes.
Focus is critical. Having good lawyers is critical if you want to achieve your goals.

The question is 'What do you want? Why are you doing what you are doing? Know this before you start and remember the reasons as you face each decision that comes your way .

At all times, I was mindful when I started this paepae in January. of what was in the statement of claim, which was already siting in the HIgh Court and where I hoped the whole action would go.
Doing this sort of work is no walk in the park. It is a good idea to know why you are doing what you doing.

I was also mindful of the whakatauki that I had used to guide me in my decision making over the years but there is something different about this time.
It has a more significant kaupapa then the Sealords or the Tribunal hearings. They were real opportunities for choice that would lead to better growth for all. However,that did not happen. We are now living with the choices that were made - and we have to face that. We are where we are now, because we did what we did. This case in the High Court, is the outcome of what we did. It can never be said we did not have the opportunity to do things better. We had it all.

This time, we have 1 last shot at getting it back on track.

Those of us who live offshore, are directly affected by what happens back home as that is where our Treaty rights are determined.
Treaty rights fall out of our customary rights to a particular territory - your papakainga. Wharekauri, Chatham Islands is the papakainga o Ngati Mutunga o Wharekauri, not Wellington, or Christchurch.
Those living in NZ could well be described as Urban Maori, a new term coined to describe the characteristics of a post modern Maori society. It is the phenomena of living away from our Rohe, for whatever reason.

What was happening to Ngati Mutunga, has to be brought back into balance so that the generations to come, can have a better life on that island. The one we are facing now, looks pretty grim. The issues still need to be sorted out in the weeks and months ahead but we cannot do that unless we talk together and then take action to do something about getting it back on track.

That starts at a whanau level. I have had my whakapapa questioned, my professional and commercial agenda challenged my personal, mental, emotional and interlectual capacities thrown at me - for what ? I am not the tribe.
I am just a member of Ngati Mutunga o Wharekauri and I cannot change the past but I can do something about the future by doing something now, to try and make a difference for my mokopuna in years to come. So what legacy are you leaving for our mokopuna? for the Rohe? for the papakainga?

Mutunga has been split for too long and it has been to the advantage of everyone else and the dis-advantage of ourselves.

When Mutunga sorts it self out, the Islands will come right.

"When one tries to tame external enemies, they increase. Therefore, it is a practice of the wise to tame themselves"


There are all too many stories about tribal people all over the world, who have lost their land through government programs, legislation and regulations as their land becomes the target for economic wealth and development. A global economic crisis has changed the world in which we live and the old ways are falling over.

Where would you go , if government presented relocation to you as an option now in 2009?

These considerations were all part of the things that ran through my mind as I considered the case I had taken to the High Court.

Never has it been more important to make sure that those who are placed in charge of of your organisations, tell you what's going on. The collapse of companies and organisations world wide have occurred for the same reason as I am taking this case. There are rules and laws that have to be followed if you are elected as a representative of an Iwi organisation. If you don't know them , find out what they are. Ask for training so that you can learn what to do.

I have finally worked out how to load up documents and will post the Statement of Claim for the case next time.

In all the work and events over the past 2 years, my goal was

a) To stabilise and get the organisation working properly and effectively.
b) To get the tribe into one paddock to stabilse the Treaty settlements

How to do this without too much cost, added to the challenge.

I will tell you about the case next time.

cheers Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earn Income

BuxPTR