Friday, January 16, 2009

Laying the Whaariki


'The dynamic nature of the origins of any civilization ensures that. the political and special environments are shaped by the myths, memories, symbols, and values that have been passed down to each generation... To this end, they are powerful determinants of human belief and behavior and cannot be ignored in any discourse on how the origins of any society live and work.

In considering resources of New Zealand, I have been uncertain about what the term ‘Maori resource’ management really meant. Was it about managing the resources that belonged to Maori? What was considered to be the ‘resources’? Who is or will be managing them? And what was the philosophy underpinning the way things were done?

These and other never ending questions have continually filtered through my mind over the past 2 decades as I took part in developing regulations and policies for the nation's fishing resources. As I reflect from a quieter repose and supposed learned heights, I am without doubt, that resource management is part of a continuing process that will never go away and that my mokopuna, Te Moananui a Kiwa, is a critical part of that process.'

Some of you maybe wondering who on earth is this ‘Evelyn’ and what is she doing all this for? What has she got to do with the Chatham Islands? Wharekauri? And anyway, what is a blog? Well, I am about to tell you.

On 1 April 2009, there will be a hearing in the High Court in Wellington to consider my concerns about how our resources i.e. yours and mine, have been managed, It has taken me almost 2 years to get it to this stage and at much cost, loss and distress.

There are some things in life that you cannot walk away from and this was one of those times. Accusations were of a magnitude that there was no alternative but to turn and face the fire, open up and tell the story. It did not have to happen, the loss of resources, irretrievable and this cannot continue.

It is not acceptable to fire all staff, close the organisation and the Chairman and his advisor run an Iwi organisation for almost 2 years, WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE i.e us, the members. If we are to develop and progress, our leaders have to be accountable.
Also, let’s not forget our responsibilities as members. I have taken this case as an individual & ordinary member of the Runanga. You maybe amazed at your rights under the constitution but you do have to read it!! If you have a question, just ask.

As background to the events, I will be posting a series of articles. These will be taken from a paper I wrote for a book about managing resources, ‘Whenua’ by Dr M Kawharu 2002.
It is important that you have access to information so that you can decide for yourself.
That is the reason I set up this blog as there is no information coming out to us as members and we have no means of talking to each other.
My hope is you will use it to talk about the issues, to ask questions, to respond to things. It’s free. Use it. Its open 24/7.
I am still learning how to make it go as I am tech unwise however, it goes, and I just have to keep putting more petrol in.

I will post the statement of claim for the case closer to the date, so that you can follow the events and comment if you want.


Korero mai !

Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earn Income

BuxPTR